The Pleasant Valley Stake Relief Society is planning “Gathering Pearls”, a mini-conference, on Sat., Feb. 25, 2012, for all Relief Society Sisters. Our purpose is to strengthen ourselves, and ultimately, our families. “Gathering Pearls” will be held at the Stake Center from 9:00-1:00. There will be great presenters and a delicious luncheon. Please put this date on your calendar and plan to attend. Please wear Sunday dress.

We need your input. We are looking for ideas in the following categories that we would like to share with all the sisters in our stake. The ideas are to be simple, inexpensive ways to strengthen our families. Would you please help us out and submit your ideas? Please e-­mail ideas in the following categories to jessicaedwardsslp@gmail.com. You may submit one idea or several.

Categories:

1. Activities for the Sabbath Day

2. Family Home Evening Ideas

3. Ideas for connecting with family– toddlers, teenagers, spouses, grandchildren, adult children, etc.


4. Simple Family Dinners

5. “Time Out For Me” ideas

Thursday, February 16, 2012

How we have found greater closeness and connection in our family -- Kellie Graham

1. Our family scripture study has evolved and changed as we go along. Here is what we have learned. Feed your soul before you feed your belly first thing in the morning. Otherwise we are all too likely to run out of time or forget to have it. Plus our minds are sharper in the morning rather than the evening. We have used all kinds of things to decide what to study and how to study. We sometimes go cover to cover on whatever book of scripture we decide to read. We have used Preach My Gospel, Personal Progress, and Duty to God to guide our scripture study.

2. Weekly family planning meetings have made a huge difference in our lives. We have an agenda and a family calendar. We report on assignments, plan for temple attendance, coordinate visiting/home teaching, discuss and make assignments for upcoming events, review the budget, talk about any concerns, and express gratitude for something significant to us in the past week.

3. Another thing I believe really improves the spirit in our home and strengthens our relationship is no TV. When we got married we were given a TV as a gift, but decided that we didn't have the time for nightly programs. We have enjoyed watching movies occasionally on the weekends. In the past I did enjoy watching TV and it was most likely on at least 2 hours a day. For me the change was worth the benefits we now enjoy as a family.

Finally, delicious food. I think that delicious food prepared with love improves the spirit of the home. Every time you prepare something for you family you are serving them. When you prepare something they love you are bringing them joy. I know this might sound a little old fashioned and June Cleaverish, but I get joy and satisfaction out of doing this for my family and for people that I care about. I am including a recipe for coconut lime banana bread, which I know sounds a bit strange, but in the Graham home we love love love it. Disclaimer: Sometimes in a ladies life there are times she can hardly stand to look at food let alone the smells that come with the preparation. These times can last for months at a time, but not more than nine. I say desperate times call for desperate measures, in which case delivery is quite a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment